Ardmore Remembers

Ardmore Presents Poster - Google Docs

Telling Stories About Ardmore’s Yesterdays

Saturday, April 23,  2:00 to 4:00 p.m. Miller Park Recreation Center

400 Leisure Lane, Winston-Salem, NC 27103

Professional North Carolina historian and whimsical storyteller Fam Brownlee will take us back in time and guide a discussion of our neighborhood’s storied past.
Post a personal story about other days in Ardmore on our Memory Maps
Bring your photos to be copied for our Ardmore History Project
Sign up to have your memories of Ardmore recorded as part of the Oral History Project.  Residents and fans of Ardmore are invited to drop in or spend the whole afternoon immersed in stories about a great neighborhood.

For more information, contact  caeickmeyer@nullgmail.com

ANACameoMrs. P. Johnson

 

 

The Ardmore Neighborhood Association

The purpose of the Ardmore Neighborhood Association is to unite the members in an effort to stabilize and improve the quality of living in the area and to encourage a neighborhood environment in which families and individuals can live in harmony and with mutual respect.

The Ardmore Neighborhood Association works to preserve the basically residential nature of the neighborhood; to discourage non-conforming property uses; to prevent further encroachment of industrial, commercial and high-density land uses; and to encourage residents to maintain and improve existing property. The ANA sponsors cultural and civic events, neighborhood meetings and presentations to educate the residents and to improve the quality of life. Ardmore Neighborhood Association board members and other volunteers take leadership roles in advocacy before the city/county planning board, city council and other governmental bodies when matters affecting the quality of life in Ardmore are being addressed.

Membership is open to any person over the age of 18 who resides or owns property in the “Greater Ardmore” area.

Very special appreciation is due to the business members of the Ardmore Neighborhood Association. Their sponsorship makes it possible for the ANA’s board and volunteers to be more effective in their work. The next time you shop or visit one of our business sponsors, please be sure to mention the Ardmore Neighborhood Association and thank them for their support.

February 2016 Board Meeting

Minutes from the March board meeting will be posted when approved at the next scheduled board meeting which is at 7:00 p.m. April 7 at the Miller Park Recreational Center (400 Leisure Lane, Winston-Salem, NC 27103).

Minutes from the February 4, 2016 Meeting of the Ardmore Neighborhood Association held at the Miller Park Community Center.

In Attendance:

Carol Eickmeyer, Bonnie Crouse, Jordan Payne, Andy Anderson, Kathy Pearre, Daniel Castro, Laura Farrell, Marlo Newman, Charlie Whittington, Aimee Smith, Jenny Shawtz

President Bonnie Crouse called the meeting to order at 7pm.

Minutes:

Minutes from last meeting in January approved.

Treasurer’s Report:

Currently $4065.13 in account, $185 was deposited

Report on Board Retreat:

The Ardmore history project is going to resume its work toward producing a coffee table book about our neighborhood, from early/founding years to present. The first public program around those matters will be on April 23rd, with an Open House, drop-in format event. This was discussed in detail at the board retreat on Jan. 9th. On the following Monday, we were able to get the venue confirmed for that date and a deposit paid on the space. It will be in the large meeting room at the Miller Park Rec Center. Carol Eickmeyer has agreed to be the board liaison for the initial organizing. We’ll look for her update and suggestions on what the next steps should be.

4th of July event:

We have booked the space at Miller Park – Shelter #1 – for the 4th of July picnic. That was done following board authorization at our first board meeting in November and the rental has been paid. Exact time, theme, food arrangements and budget for that day are decisions that still need to be made and we need to draw in a core group to take on the organizing for that. Andy Anderson will be the board liaison, and this will be a brief item for the February board meeting.

Home Tours:

There was a lively discussion about home tours following a comprehensive and well-documented presentation by Patti Heath. There was general agreement that attempting to do a December 2016 home tour would not be the ANA’s best move. For one thing, pulling off this sort of event takes time, at least 12 months, preferably a bit longer. You might argue that we could shave off some of that timeline but the other complication is that the West End Neighborhood Association has a long-standing practice of doing a holiday home tour every other year, and 2016 is one of those years. It would not be prudent or courteous for the ANA to have a competing event, so discussion then moved to a Spring 2017 home tour. Kathy Pearre stepped up and will captain the early organizing efforts on that.

Insurance (per Laura’s report on running into that issue in context of setting up a membership table):

We should make a decision as a board to obtain liability insurance policy that will cover us for a broad array of contingencies. The home tour probably will need a policy of its own. For all other purposes, we should explore liability insurance to cover our activities and events. If you have expertise in this area, let us know. As ever, any time board members make recommendations involving purchasing professional services, it will be important to disclose any potential personal interest they might have. That won’t keep us from going with that agent or with that company, but we don’t want to be blindsided later if there is a claim of conflict of interest. However, if you or someone you know is involved in this type of insurance practice, please DO share that with us at the next board meeting.

The ANA board will continue to have monthly meetings at 7:00 p.m. on the 1st Thursday. This can be revisited in 2-3 months if we have a plurality of board members who want to make the case for altering our meeting schedule. For the foreseeable future, however, we have enough reorganizing work cut out for us that there’s no chance of running out of things to fill the agenda. From a practical standpoint, we need the opportunity to meet formally to confirm actions that will be recorded in the minutes. If you have something you want to put on the agenda, let’s hear it.

Much thanks to Carol for hosting the retreat. Additional thanks to Carol for conceiving of the retreat and for pushing us to go through with it. My perception of it is that it was time well spent. We had a good turnout. People participated energetically and were generous with suggestions. I appreciate all of you.

Events:

History Project Open House, April 23

Carol Eickmeyer – made form for sample event proposal, yard signs for events, creating Facebook event, carol will be sole contact for history project event. Raise budget for the event to $255 allowing $100 for decorations – approved

4th of July Picnic at Miller Park

2017 Home Tour- Marlo proposed to change tour to 2016 holiday tour, discussion of working with west end holiday home tour, Carol proposed the Ana reaches out to the west end holiday home tour to confirm discuss holiday home tours. Discussed doing Halloween home tour. Laura made a motion that the holiday home tour meets with Mark Lively to discuss working with West End’s home tour and report back – approved

Use event planning form going forward.

Communication (Social Media (Facebook), Brochure, Website, Newsletter):

Official ANA Facebook page was generated by Bonnie following the board retreat’s discussion of increasing our socal media presence. Reggie Delahanty and others recommended that we go with an ANA Facebook page rather than a Facebook discussion group as that will give us control over what gets posted for discussion. All ANA board members are allowed to generate posts. Anyone can like/follow the page, but those outside of the board are only allowed to make comments. Jordan volunteered to be an admin to help with quality control of page. There was also talk of Reggie possibly taking down the facebook group called Ardmore Neighborhood due to overwhelming work trying to regulate page (apparently gets 200+ notifications/messages per day with group). However, that call is the admin’s (Reggie) and not a decision that the ANA can make.

Newsletter for neighborhood to raise awareness, Kathy offered to format the newsletter, do a quarterly newsletter, discussion on design of newsletter, cost, distribution, send newsletter information to Kathy targeted for the beginning of March. Question about whether Kathy’s husband was willing or interested in doing an on-line newsletter or just print. Bonnie will follow up.

Laura printed cards raising awareness of upcoming events, membership, courtesy of Ardmore Realty.

Membership:

Continually updating membership list, remember to funnel all information to the secretary, who will organize into spreadsheet.

Issues within PayPal.

Send welcome email when new members join.

Issues with email group being tied to old board – Daniel offered to look into this with the company that hosts our sites.

Tabled issue to executive committee meeting.

Bonnie suggested forming membership services group.

New Business (as time permits):

Jordan went to area plan meeting, talked about development on goat farm, talk about grocery store in that area. Currently zoned for residential

Public relations committee: go through committee and send message about helping more with ANA.

Adjourn

Ended: 9:04pm

“Ardmore Remembers”

Saturday April 23, 2-4 p.m. at Miller Park Recreational Center
A family friendly open house with story-telling and sharing, here’s an opportunity to have look at our neighborhood through new eyes. Residents and fans of Ardmore are invited to bring their own Ardmore photos and memories to share. Professional N.C.historian and whimsical storyteller Fam Brownlee will take us back in time and guide a discussion of our neighborhood’s storied past. This is a family friendly event. Drop in for a bit or enjoy the entire two hours. Mark Your Calendar… Ardmore Remembers

December 2015 Board Meeting

Minutes from the February board meeting will be posted when approved at the next scheduled board meeting which is at 7:00 p.m. March 3 at the Miller Park Recreational Center (400 Leisure Lane, Winston-Salem, NC 27103)

Minutes from the December 3, 2015 Meeting of the Ardmore Neighborhood Association held at the Miller Park Community Center.

In attendance
Bonnie Crouse, Jordan Payne, David Cone, Lyndia Cone, Carol Eickmeyer, Kathy Pearre, Laura Farrell, Reggie Delahanty, Andy Anderson, Marlo Newman

President Bonnie Crouse called the meeting to order at 7 pm.

Minutes
The board accepted a motion to approve the November meeting minutes.

Treasurer’s Report
Marlo reported $3,947 in the ANA account. Taxes have been taken care of, and the PO Box and website are paid to date. Marlo will be ordering checks. The board discussed setting up Paypal to allow membership dues to be collected on our phones. The ANA has received $180 in new membership fees.

President’s report
Bonnie went over the responsibilities of a non-profit and how to instill a culture of trust and cooperation in the ANA. The responsibilities of a non-profit include:

  1. Keep it legal
  2. Keep it solvent
  3. Plan for the future
  4. Recruit and staff
  5. Accountability to constituents
  6. Get the work done
  7. Support and empower committees and volunteers
  8. Groom your own replacements
  9. Ambassadors to the community
  10. Lather, rinse, repeat

A budget requires identifying what kind of money we need, what we’ll do with it, how we plan to get it: donations, dues, events, sales. And how upcoming events (to be discussed later as a separate item) can fit into the membership growth.

Website improvements
Bonnie noted that Daniel is continuing to update the website.

RuffHousing’s request for special use permit
Bonnie provided an update on support for this request.
A special motion “agenda item at city hall meeting 12/7” was accepted

Discussion of Southwest Area Plan led by Jordan, Carol, Marlo, and Laura
If you were there for some or all of the discussion/listening meeting with the city’s planning staff a couple of weeks ago, please share your response to it and your recommendations, if you have them, for the ANA board to take up as a result.

  1. Traffic calming on Lockland – bushes are restricting sight lines making it dangerous
  2. Revitalization efforts of peters creek and sidewalks to create greenway
  3. Concerns about Stratford road area
  4. Next meeting is Dec 17th at 6 PM. ANA will be present with Jordan, Andy and Carol

Report of the most recent meeting of the Winston-Salem Neighborhood Alliance attended by Carol
There was a discussion of concerns about accessory buildings. The current laws around accessory buildings is vague, and there was discussion of applying for historical status to prevent abuse of accessory buildings. The discussion was tabled. Reggie noted concerns around hospitals buying land in Ardmore.
The city is trying to increase density.

Discussion of Cloverdale/Ardmore Terrace apartments led by Carol and Bonnie
What should our next steps be? The ANA sent a letter to City Council and forwarded a message from Dan Besse. Carol and Bonnie had lunch with some developers, they are having a hard time getting insurance on apartments due to them being older and needing so much work. Some shareholders want commercial permits for both sides of Cloverdale, and there was discussion about pushing them to rezone.

Membership
Carol discussed the results of new members work. A question arose about the time frame for membership (is it a calendar year or does it start the month you signed up?). The board tabled the question. There has been $180 in new membership fees.

Laura discussed Business Membership strategy, handed out the application, and proposed changing the application to reflect $175 fee for businesses. The motion was accepted.

Bonnie discussed future events which are to be multipurpose and tied in with membership strategy. These include:

  • Valentine’s event to make valentines for Ronald McDonald / Brenners Children’s Hospital. A motion to budget $100 from the budget was accepted.
  • History month event to kick off the Ardmore book
  • 4th of July Picnic – The venue has already been booked by Bonnie.
  • Candidate debate forum / yearly meeting – October

Crime and Police
Comments on crime from David Cone who volunteered to be the board’s liaison with the police department. Police are aware of ANA and the new board.

November 2015 Board Meeting

Minutes from the 11/5/15 Meeting of the Ardmore Neighborhood Association held at Miller Park

Present: Bonnie Crouse, Daniel Castro, David Cone, Lyndea Cone, Inez Davis, Reggie Delahanty, Carol Eickmeyer, Laura Farrell, Kim Garrett, Marlo Newman, Jordan Payne, Kathy Pearre, Shelly Snider, Charlie Whittington

Absent: Andy Anderson, Gary Blocker

President Bonnie Crouse called the meeting to order at 7 pm

An agenda was created

Treasurer Marlo Newman reported:

  • That we have about $3600 in the Wells Fargo account; that the account has been changed to one that only  requires a $500 monthly balance so there will be no monthly service fees and that  previous month’s service fees have been refunded.
  • Of the $3600 on hand, $431 is new memberships from the Annual Meeting.
  • The ANA has not filed an IRS 990 for 2014 nor have extensions been filed.
  • In the past Wes Brooks filed the 990 in exchange for recognition as a sponsor of the ANA.
  • David Cone moved that we follow up with Wes Brooks to see if he will file the 990 for 2014 and that the ANA authorizes up to $200 for this professional service. Kathy Pearre seconded the motion and it was passed unanimously.

Liaisons with other organizations
Bonnie suggested that the board identify people to serve as liaisons.

  • David Cone volunteered to be the liaison with law enforcement
  • Laura Farrell volunteered to continue to work with area businesses and sponsors
  • Carol Eickmeyer volunteered to be the liaison with the City County Planning Board
  • Other liaisons will be recognized as the need arrises

Communications
Bonnie identified 4 volunteers to work on strengthening the ANA electronic marketing and communications: Julie Gross, Sue Kendall, Daniel Johannes & Daniel Castro. there was much discussion surrounding the website, a potential Facebook page and other forms of electronic communication. There was also much discussion of a need or interest in a newsletter that would be both electronic and in print.

Zoning
Bonnie met with Kimberly Vaughn, an owner of Ruff Housing the doggie daycare and kennel on Witt St. They are seeking a Special Use Permit to change the setback requirements as they seek to expand the current facilities. the first step in this process is to gain Planning Board approval, for which there is no public hearing. The request moves to the City Council for approval at their December 7 meeting. Public comment is permitted at this meeting. Ruff Housing has asked for the ANA to support their request.

  • Carol Eickmeyer moved that the ANA write a letter of support for this request. Motion was seconded by Inez Davis. The motion passed unanimously. Bonnie will write the letter and forward it to Ms. Vaughn

Membership
All agreed that an increase in membership is important if the ANA is to be a viable organization. However, it is important that we be able to answer the questions: What does the ANA do and Why should I join the ANA.

  • Laura Farrell mentioned that she has a form that answers these questions and would be happy to email it to us. A request was made to add a membership blank to this form.
  • Carol Eickmeyer challenged the board members to each solicit 10 new members by the next meeting. Those 150 new members added to the existing 57 would bring the ANA to 207 by the end of the year.
  • Reggie Delahanty reminded us that we have the emails of many past members and have not invited them to rejoin the organization in at least a year if not longer. It could be worthwhile to do this. No one was identified to take this action.

Monthly meetings
We agreed to meet the first Thursday of the month, for the next few months at least while the ANA gets back on its feet and to continue to meet at the Miller Park Recreation Center unless a board member invites us to their home.

The next meeting will be December 3 at 7 pm.
The January meeting will be on the 7th at 7 pm.

Announcements
Ardmore is part of the The Southwest Area Plan. The Plan is being updated and the first meeting is 11/19 at Miller Park at 6 pm.  We are encouraged to attend.

The first meeting regarding the improvements of Miller Park has been held but for those who were unable to attend there is an online survey at: http://www.cityofws.org/ Departments/Recreation-Parks/ Recreation-Centers/Miller- Park/Miller-Park-Improvements

Remarks for the Good of the Order
Bonnie asked that members of the board make a covenant to respect each other’s opinions, listen to everyone’s comments, acknowledge the value of every contribution and in general both support the work we’re doing and each other.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30, as promised.
Respectfully submitted by Carol Eickmeyer for Andy Anderson who was unable to attend.

2015-2016 Board of Directors

At the annual meeting on October 8, members elected a new Board of Directors.  The Board is made up of volunteers who are here to serve the Ardmore Neighborhood Community.
The Board members below will serve from October 2015 to October 2016.

OFFICERS
President — Bonnie Crouse
Vice President — Jordan Payne
Secretary — Andy Anderson
Treasurer — Marlo Newman

AT-LARGE MEMBERS
Inez Davis
David Cone
Lyndia Cone
Kathy Pearre
Charlie Whittington
Daniel Castro
Laura Farrell
Reggie Delahanty
Shelly Snider

2015 Annual Meeting Scheduled !

YOU ARE INVITED!!  The 2015 annual membership meeting for the Ardmore Neighborhood Association is scheduled for Thursday, October 8th at 7:00 PM at Redeemer Presbyterian on Miller Street.  Join your neighbors to hear from past ANA presidents on Ardmore’s history and help elect a new board to lead the ANA for the 2015-16 year.   You’ll have an opportunity to renew your membership, meet the board members, enjoy light refreshments, share your thoughts on issues facing Ardmore and your ideas for keeping Ardmore a great place to live!!  All residents are welcomed and paid members will be eligible to vote for the new ANA Board.    Help us kick off a new year and new chapter for the ANA!

Let’s Tour Ardmore

To celebrate our centennial next year, the Ardmore Neighborhood Association is planning a home tour for Fall 2010, but we need your help…and your homes! Home tours in any historic neighborhood are always popular and it has been quite a while since Ardmore has hosted one of these events. It is fascinating to get a glimpse of the past through its architectural and decorative styles as well as to see how others have interpreted those features and added their own personality for today’s living. For those people that have lovingly (and sometimes bravely!) tackled a home restoration, it can be a source of joy and pride to share their hard work with friends and neighbors. Whatever your interest, we need volunteers to help plan and support this event and gracious neighbors who are willing to open their homes to the public for a few hours.
Continue reading

October 13 2009 Board Meeting

Ardmore Neighborhood Association Meeting

October 13, 2009

In attendance: Dianne Blancato, Lonnie Clark, Tom Dalrymple, Reggie Delahenty, Catherine Eades, Patti Heath, Pauline Leggatt, Tiffany White, Ann Winters.

Call to Order at 7:05 p.m.

Board Election: The proposed slate of officers for 2009/2010 was presented: President Lonnie Clark, Vice President Tom Dalrymple, Secretary Dianne Blancato, and Treasurer Pauline Leggatt. Board Members to be voted on include Patti Heath, Social Chair; Doris Kendrick, Historian; and Ann Winters, Environmental Coordinator.

Lonnie Clark moved that a vote be taken for the slate of officers/board members; Jane Milner seconded it. The motion passed.

Volunteers: Lonnie Clark asked for volunteers to work with any of the existing board committees.

Listserv: Reggie Delahenty asked the audience to join and participate in the Ardmore Neighborhood listserv. To subscribe, an e-mail should be sent to Ardmorelistserve-subscribe@nullyahoogroups.com.

Book Project: Plans are in the works for a book about historic Ardmore. Doris Kendrick is spearheading the project.

Area Plan: The Southwest Area Plan was passed by the City Council.

Sidewalk Improvement Plan: The Transportation Department is working on a sidewalk improvement plan for the Cloverdale area. A representative from the Department will share the plan and take comments at the next ANA Board meeting.

Meet the Candidates: Dan Besse and Ted Shipley, candidates for City Council from the Southwest Ward, participated in a Meet the Candidates Forum during the meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m.