Minutes for the Ardmore Neighborhood Association meeting of November 14, 2004
Present: Jennifer Redd, David Lane, Robin Fulk, Mary Ann Myers, Diana Halstead, Sean Ervin, Pauline Leggatt, Phyllis Newman, Connie Woosley, Bonnie King, Julie Magness, Candy Wood, Linda Pass, Scott Breining, Brenda Jo Breining
Absent: Patti Sturdy, David Archer
Guests: Virginia Lowe, Annie Lundahl
Call to Order: 7:40PM
Minutes from the meeting of September 14, 2004 were distributed and accepted.
ITEMS OF DISCUSSION:
1. Treasurer’s Report: $20564.24 as of October 29, 2004. $12082.28 is designated for historical district markers, $5475.50 is designated for playground equipment and $3006.46 is in the ANA General Fund. All officers are going to be able to sign ANA checks. Pauline will get signatures from the officers not already on file.
2. Membership report: There are currently 140 members paid and 627 members in the database.
3. Membership Dues: Since September’s meeting a motion was made and passed to raise annual membership dues to $15 beginning January 1, 2005.
4. Crime/Safety/Public Health report: The report Mary Ann receives for crime now contains all complaint calls. She is currently receiving the report every two to four weeks. Phyllis is going to undertake public health issues including rats and stray animals.
6. Website Update: The website had a record 2817 visitors in October!!!!! In January 2004 there were just 566 visitors.
7. E-News fee: The board unanimously approved a motion to spend up to $5 per month on e-newsletter fees.
8. New Member Orientation/Welcome: There will be an optional meeting for ANA members on December 7th. Former board members will be invited to discuss their experiences with the ANA. The board unanimously approved a motion to spend up to $50 for invitations and refreshments. The board unanimously approved a motion to make this orientation an annual event as a way to bring new members up to speed on the organization.
9. Social meetings: The board unanimously approved a motion to hold up to four meetings annually and spend up to $25 per meeting on refreshments. These meetings will be used for community outreach and ANA promotion. Potential meeting ideas include tenant’s rights and a historical district tax credit workshop.
10. Policy Statement: A motion was made and failed 6-7 concerning the “ANA Policies” document drafted. The board approved a motion 11-2 to pass the drafted “ANA Policies” document after removing Statements 5 and 6 and to review the financial statement prepared for the Annual Meeting held last month as a potential budgeting document.
11. Documentation: The board unanimously approved motions to accept and support the following documents:
*The ANA Borrowing Agreement (to be used when ANA members borrow drink coolers or yard stakes) *Contract of Support for the Playground Equipment Fundraising
*The letter to the Winston-Salem Foundation in support of Linda Pass’s grant application for playground equipment
*Contract for Sponsorship for the Ardmore Remembers celebration
12. Support for Ardmore Remembers: A motion was unanimously passed to reimburse the Ardmore Remembers Committee up to $100 toward refreshments and various set-up costs.
13. Committee Chairmen: The following board members have agreed to chair these committees:
*Newsletter – Jennifer/Robin (Next issue due out in mid- to late-January)
*Zoning/Housing Services – Julie
*Social – Diana/Connie/Bonnie
*Special Events – Jennifer/Connie
*Historic (markers) – Robin
*Welcoming – Patti (7 sent out in October)
*ANA Promotion/Public Relations – Jennifer/Brenda
*Web Site – Sean
*Police Liaison/Safety/Public Health – Mary Ann (crime/safety) & Phyllis (public health/safety)
*Block Outreach – Diana
*Traffic – Scott/Brenda
14. Ardmore 5k: Mary Ann is still looking for volunteers for this weekend’s Ardmore 5k and Jennifer needs help with the fun run that will be held beforehand.
15. Winter Wonderland: The Downtown W-S Partnership has donated a storefront window to the Forsyth County Historic Resources Commission for the city’s nine historical districts. Jennifer has selected a door to be decorated and taken to the storefront window on December 3rd. Bonnie and Jennifer have agreed to be responsible for decorating the door. A motion was unanimously passed to donate $25 to assist with additional expenses of participating in this event.
16. W-S Neighborhood Alliance Update: A text amendment concerning small housing subdivisions is coming to the planning board. Also, Operation Impact is going city-wide.
17. W-S Foundation Grant Application: Linda has asked all board members to review the Grant Application she has drafted and submit changes and suggestions to her by Friday, November 12th.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:55PM
Brenda Jo Breining, Secretary, ANA